Thursday, May 31, 2012

Downton Abbey



 

By now, everyone's heard of the series. But if you haven't watched it, buy the series (1 and 2 are already out). Seriously!

I first heard about it from my Granne. She brought it back from her last visit to England but of course, the Downton Abbey obsession hadn't quite reached South Africa yet! Being from the UK originally, Sky News and BBC are her favourite and pretty much only channels she watches on DSTV, I figured this must just be one of those random Pommie series that will never appeal to me...like East Enders.
But then I decided to give them a try as I like books set in the past. And I couldn't stop.

Title: Downton Abbey
Stars: Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville, and Elizabeth McGovern
Genre: Period series (set in England in early 1900's)
Synopsis: The whole story takes place in a grand country house of the Crawleys in North Yorkshire, England. It's an 'Upstairs, Downstairs' tale of the lives of the family (issues about future heirs, marriage, fashion and fortune) and their servants (illicit romance, theft, baking and bargains) and how they are all intertwined. It's not a spoiler to give away the fact that the second series takes place during World War I, affecting every aspect of life at Downton Abbey.

My thoughts: Such a fascinating look into the lives of Edwardian England! The blurred role of servant/master, rich/poor, man/woman play out in each episode, making me question how far we've really come. A classic line from the second series just sums up the ridiculousness of those times: 
"Is there anything worse than losing one's maid?" -  said by Lady Grantham to her mother-in-law, the Dowager Countess of Grantham during WW I.

Review: 8/10
              Even if you're not into period dramas, I would give it a watch - there really is something for 
              everyone! I cannot wait to get my hands on season 3 when it comes out (And conveniently, 
             Granne is in England right now :) :)


For more information: Go to this website or just get yourself down to the DVD store and hire it if you're still  not convinced!

No comments:

Post a Comment