Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tomato chicken risotto

Tomato Chicken Risotto
So here is a little culinary delight that I russled up last week [apologies for the lack of garnish or even pretty platter - but that's all my office kitchen provides].
I've been wanting to make a risotto for ages but have always been hesitant to give it a try, imagining a stodgy result.

So here's my first attempt at Tomato Chicken Risotto - a perfect end of the month meal.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 (big portions, so I ate mine in 3)

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
4 Italian tomatoes, chopped (or can use tinned)
3 cups of chicken stock (using 1.5 cubes)
1.5 cups of broccoli (or any other veg you have lying around)
1 cup of brown basmati rice (obviously the pucker rice is preferred but budget constraints left me using whatever I had in the cupboard)
1 tsp crushed garlic
mixed herbs, salt and pepper
oil/butter to fry

Method:
Saute the garlic and add the tomatoes, frying slightly in a pan
Add chicken pieces and brown
Add rice to soak up tomato juices and slowly add the stock (taking care not to flood the pan by adding it all at once)
Add the broccoli and any herbs (fresh obviously better). I would not suggest adding salt as stock is quite salty already.
As the rice soaks up the stock, add more, and stir continuously
To hurry things up (tummy rumbling) I put a saucepan lid at an angle on top of the pan (to enhance the steaming process), stirring every few minutes.
I also added 2 tbs of chutney just to sweeten it up slightly but that's up to you
Once all the stock/juices has been soaked up and veggies are soft to your liking, serve in a bowl - which you can make pretty by adding some parsley on top.

Verdict:
Delicious (but slightly salty so would not add salt in future). Very easy to make and all in all, a good first attempt at risotto!

No comments:

Post a Comment