Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I am learning as Editor

1. Be assertive.
I can no longer rely on being told what to do (so much easier that way!). There's now not really anyone to tell me anyway - well other than the big boss but he just wants to talk about the trade.

2, Have an opinion and speak up.
Before, I tended to keep quiet or just go with what the boss's opinion was because I felt 'inferior' in my lack of knowledge to actually be entitled to one. Now I'm expected to have an opinion - meetings and other decision-making places.

3. Stick to my guns.
It used to be so frustrating to watch my boss always be convinced to change deadlines, allow late entrants and do basically do whatever the sales people wanted.
But I refuse to be their door mat. I set deadlines and expect them to be met and I speak to the salespeople directly if I have a problem.
If I have to write an entire magazine in a set time, they can jolly well get their ads in on time.

4. Confront.
I have always been terrible at confrontation and while I may not be good at it yet, I am learning. Case and point today, when I spoke to a salesperson about an issue I had and we agreed to a way forward.
I always find that email can be an effective way in getting my stern voice on.

5. Fill those shoes.
I am the editor. At 22. No pressure. That means that I have to step up to the plate and act like one. I need to be confident when meeting the bigwigs of the industry and have something useful to say.

** New challenge to myself - learn something new everyday about the trade and write it down so I remember it.

I'm gonna rock this magazine. BOOM.

2 comments:

  1. YES! You go girl. We are all behind you 100% because we know that you are going to do absolutely amazing things! So proud of you! xx

    ReplyDelete