Friday, August 12, 2011

The best way to resign (is there one?)

It turns out there is a good and a bad way to resign from your job. I recently experienced the bad so thought it a good idea to jot down a few key points to ensure that I do a better job when it comes to my resigning at some future date from some future job.
1. Don't waste their time. If you use 'the job just doesn't fit' as your reason for leaving, how bout you come to that realisation a little sooner. Say, 2 months ago before a lot of time, effort and money is invested in you. And before you're made permanent after an extended probation period, perhaps?
2. Get out already. Look, if a job's not right for you then it's not right - and better to get out before you get sucked into a spiral of unhappiness. But seriously, if you've known it's not right from the start, don't delay and just go away!
3. The complaining game. There's nothing worse than people that complain all the time. The long commute, the traffic, the strict deadlines, the workload...... we all experience it every day I promise. Instead, just get on with it and/or do something about it. (I suppose this relates to points 1 and 2 too).
4. Be professional. When I resign I will certainly take this point to heart and go about the process in a professional and curvaceous manner. Rather than waiting for the end of the day to deposit an envelope on the ME's desk and mention 'By the way' to the person above you, why not sit them down and discuss the matter (I realise this is awkward but rather help them understand, surely?)
5. Say thank you. I think it is a fair way to end a working relationship to thank the person who has (hopefully) guided and taught you in your position. A simple thank you really would go down well. Instead of, say, 'Do you know if the ME will be paying me today for the 6 days I've worked this month'.

**Disappointed and bitter much?

No comments:

Post a Comment