Monday, June 28, 2010

Awkward elevator moments


 Everyone who has ever lived in a complex has endured one of those awkward elevator moments...you know when you press the button for ground and look forward to a minute or two of vacuumed time and space - with no phones beeping, or computers whirring and in my case, not even classical elevator music to distract me from my thoughts.

Last night I had a particularly awkward experience as I travelled down the lift after the World Cup match between Germany and England (where those pommies got absolutely thumped - ha! regardless of that bad ref decision with the disallowed goal Paul Ince!).
I entered the usually quiet confines of the elevator with a silver-haired lady (complex note 1: I basically live in an old age home judging by the average of my co-inhabitants > 60 plus). Turns out she's the daughter of my neighbour so he really must be ancient (definitely alive in the first and second World Wars I swear!).
So we both push the G button, and I pray that this elevator accelerates down the five floors.

The World Cup is a conversation starter at the the best of times in this country, and if you know just a little bit about the teams (no football knowledge necessarily required) and own a shirt for Football Friday, things don't generally go wrong. You can always just blame the ref.

Granny: "So, did you watch the soccer?"
Me: "Yes, it was a hectic game hey"

And that would have been sufficient. The last minute of our journey could now be enjoyed in pleasant silence after the ice had been broken. But I seem to attract awkward situations wherever I go.

Me: "So, which team were you supporting?"
Granny: Um...England...well I have their flag on my car but my father is devastated"

Now that seems like a fairly ok neutral response right?

Complex fact 2: Everyone in my complex is Jewish. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha...made me giggle so much. Open mouth and insert foot :) xx

    ReplyDelete