Thursday, December 2, 2010

Money has me hostage

Ka Ching!
That’s exactly the noise that I hear inside my brain when I see that I’ve been paid. This is generally discovered after I’ve been hovering at my internet banking for the last few days of the month because I don’t get a payslip. In fact, I actually don’t know how much I get paid – before tax I mean – because I got a little raise a few months back and now I’m just not sure what I’m grossing. Think I need to start getting payslips again!

Budget calculations are very scary, I prefer to go with the ‘ignorance is bliss’ train of thought but this ALWAYS leads me to be being absolutely broke for the last week of the month. Where I inevitably dig in to my savings (at least I am saving in the first place right?!) So on Sunday night I had some time to kill – flight back from Cape Town at 10pm, needed to stay awake so I could actually sleep when I got home – and decided to work out my budget for the upcoming month.

Net Income – Rent – student loan repayment – medical expenses – gym membership – retirement fund – savings contribution – food shop for digs – petrol = NOT A LOT AT ALL!
I think I still prefer the blind approach!
So I’ve now divided what’s left between the number of days between now and the next pay check and given myself a daily allowance, which may be spent on whatever or saved up for something more.

In theory, this should mean I don’t run out of money.
But then, we have the weekends to contend with: pre drinks, going out, a meal out, maybe a movie, and the occasional treat – and that comes to a lot more than the daily allowance.
So then the solution is to not spend anything during the week so I can afford the weekends.

So let me get this straight – in less than a year of working I have begun living for my pay check, and when I get it, I work out how little I actually have and then start living for the next one.
And that’s without the bond, children’s school fees and the rest that comes along in a few years. And the medical aid, car insurance and cellphone contract that should be coming next year.
It truly does appear that money has me hostage and absolutely controls what I do and too much of what I’m thinking about.
Not good.
This must be the capitalist society. But it doesn’t have to be this way.

And it’s time that I break free from the rand ropes that tie me down. But how?
  • A treat, like a cappuccino on the way to work, or juice when I’ve been shopping must become a rare sighting. Once a week maximum- that should come to
  • I need to chose to do things that I really want to do – and not go out to eat, or movies or drinks, willy nilly just because I’m invited (I guess that way I will also appreciate the times more?)
  • Do things on weekends that don’t cost a lot. This shall require some investigation but camping, hiking, braais and meals at home rather than out are all ways to enjoy the weekend without the price tag
  • Start a splash out jar – for coins, random notes I have around – and once I’ve saved enough I can really enjoy whatever it is that I want to do at the time
  • Get Curly on a similar mindset
  • Enjoy people, not things


Money may make the world go around – but it’s not going to make mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment