Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Dear new relationship

I am very happy for the spark and flourish that is your new love affair.
The excitement at getting a surprise knock at your door, the agony you go through waiting for your bbm message to deliver, be read....and then his reply!
I understand that you can think of nothing better than being holed up in your love nest all weekend - taking breaks only to order take-out or visit the gym (if you don't feel you're getting enough exercise already).
I also get the nervous anticipation when you introduce the new guy or girl in your life to your friends - will they like him/her? will he/she like them? Will you all get on fabulously and he just slips into the group dynamic?
Even more scary is the meet-the-family - because as much as you might not like to admit, you do care if your mom or dad doesn't like your new other half.
Walks around the neighbourhood hand-in-hand
Coffee and dessert dates at Sandton Square
Going to movies and missing the whole show
Sharing one box of popcorn (pretending to like salt & vinegar when really salt is the only pure topping for popcorn)
Talking hypothetically about which dogs you would like (a little Daschund called Poppie please, fine you can have your staffies - no Daschunds are still cuter)
I understand all this - I've been there too - And just for the record I still want a Daschund, I now have my own box of popcorn, salted and Curly and I went for a walk around the dam hand-in-hand just yesterday.
But.
What I CANNOT condone is letting go of all your mates for the sake of the latest love thing.
Of stopping inviting friends over to your house when you've been the social Mecca of the town. Btw, he's now building a bar in his house...but we're wondering who's going to be standing around it?
Of not going out with one of your good mate's on her birthday.
Of never being able to do anything without your other half.

I understand this is a budding romance and the honeymoon stage is very much in progress....I just have to wonder what's going to happen if a romance dies, or the honeymoon settles into something permanent - who are you going to invite round for a Sunday braai? Or a double date?
You've managed to forget about all your friends as you become 'that couple'
I guess all I can do is wish you happiness on your island then.
I think I'm going to organise a braai.

1 comment:

  1. "I guess all I can do is wish you happiness on your island then." Ditto.

    ReplyDelete