Thursday, May 5, 2011

You have the right to shut up

Last night after work, myself, Curly and our friend D Dog were sitting on the verandah having a 'shmoke and a pancake' and the topic of the upcoming local elections came up.
Curly: "I feel really guilty that I didn't register" (which he should, but in fairness was in between homes so didn't know what his local ward was)
D Dog: "I don't, I don't care."

And that comment made me want to rage.
And I told him so, saying then fine he has no right to complain about our Government. Nothing. I don't want to hear a word about corruption, potholes, road works, expensive electricity etc etc etc.
"But I pay taxes."
No D-Dog that is not enough.
If every person thought like you there would be no chance in ever making a change to government.
And even though the DA is not going to be taking over running the country any time soon, the local elections give the opportunity to elect your DA ward councillor - who will be the person instrumental in making changes to your suburb, your street!
And what with all the in-fighting the ANC is doing at the moment and the debacle over candidates not being put on lists etc, now is the time for the DA to show off Cape Town as their service delivery example and grab hold of wavering votes!

So yes, D-Dog, you should care.

No comments:

Post a Comment