Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Deal or no deal?

I admit that I may have a new addiction and time-consuming way to spend my day which should otherwise be dedicated to writing/ organising and all things editory.
Social buying networks.
The first one I came across was
 wicount which had me gawking at the number of awesome (and for the most part unnecessary) deals I could get my hands on - spa treatments, half price meals, bungee jumping, romantic getaways, golf lessons...the list seems to be endless. And there is no better way to ease into a day at the office than sipping on some Frisco and checking out what could hypothetically be mine.
And then I found Ubuntu Deal. So another newsletter to prolong the coffee break and more deals to drool over.
And then things started going crazy - a friend recommended I join My City Deal (which turns out to be part of Groupon since January) She also got 'cash' in her wallet for recommending me (smart!!)....and then yesterday I came across a whole lot more from a simple search on the web. Take a look:


And yes I may or may not have joined them all....perhaps.
The concept is fantastic: A massive discount is offered on a product / service e.g. half price manicure - if you want the deal you 'buy' the deal [you need to enter your credit card details in your account details...privacy assured of course] and only when enough people have 'bought' the deal is it 'on' and your account is debited with the amount. You then get sent a voucher number and use that to book / pay for your manicure.

At least I can say that I am currently only at browsing status due to a tragic financial status (at this moment I wait expectantly for the ping of my phone to tell me that my salary is in my account!). My only real experience is 'buying' the Voucher at Global Wrapps...which was completely free...for Wicount's birthday. Still need to claim my R70 wrap & smoothie....yum.

But as soon as my financial status improves (come on ping!) I fear that spending on these unnecessary but delightful things (and I do have a couple of friends with birthdays coming up.....) will reach new heights.
So I better learn some self-control quick...or else I won't even have any petrol to get to my romantic weekend away at that game reserve....

No comments:

Post a Comment