Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Four way stops work...mostly

There has been a spate of robots out around Johannesburg (there are always some, so just more than usual!) and I must say, I've been generally quite impressed by how courteous every driver is in waiting his turn and crossing accordingly.

Every robot I've seen this at seems not to have an Outsurance pointsman (those people we have all come to love who smile and get us through the morning and evening traffic) and yet things are seemingly running smoothly.

Another interesting thought on the subject is how roundabouts and circles work in Joburg (I say Joburg specifically, but this probably applies to every city) because it really is different to the small town scenario.
- It's first come first serve
- Cars then generally follow a clockwise route (obviously - we drive on the left side!) but I mean we give way to the right
- But if that person on your right arrived later than you, then there is no harm in cutting in and going ahead with your business.

A little earlier today I was in Alexandra near the Pan African Mall and I also witnessed this courtesy. Now bear in mind that Pan African Mall is the first wholly integrated taxi rank and shopping mall in the country so there are A LOT of taxis. And people in the roads. And hawkers selling their wares. And school kids laughing on their way home. And gogos going to the store to pick up social grants and food for the month (it being the 30th and all).

Pic cred: sarocks.co.za
Of course, since living in Joburg and having to drive on Louis Botha Avenue everyday, where taxis stop dead in the road at every block, I've gotten quite used to taxis.

And must admit that I've started to drive a little like them. So in the above situation - where I was dodging kids, chickens and inconveniently parked vehicles (but it's ok - they had their hazards on!) - I managed to zip through and dodge any obstacles until I finally reached the main road that actually had working robots.

I had also managed to keep a smile on my face because Joburg drivers - even the taxis - can get four way stops right.

High five everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment