Friday, November 11, 2011

Old people at gyms scare me

I'm sorry to sound so ageist - but old people at gyms really scare me.
Not because I'm freaked out by saggy skin and wrinkles, but I fear for their health.

This morning after a hectic kickboxing class, we were all stretching and the older gentleman next to me seemed to fall on his knees - and stayed on all fours panting for a while.

I looked at him in alarm - was he having a heartache, do I ask him if he's ok, is that just a sweaty brow from the numerous kicks, squats and punches we've been doing for the past hour or is that the sweaty brow before a heart attack?

Needless to say, I'm quite glad I didn't share my concern with him as he would have been mightily insulted - because he managed to arise and stagger to his water bottle and towel quite easily (all things considered) a few minutes later.

Another time, I was peddling away on a bike when a very aged gentleman took ownership of the one next to me. Despite his white-haired and droppy man boobed athleticism, I was seriously worried that he might keel over at any moment and literally spent the whole time keeping an eye on him (as the speed of my bike slowed from the misguided concentration).

I'm all for keeping yourself on your toes (maybe not literally due to possible ankle arthritis...can you get arthritis there?) for health reasons. Because besides the unexpected strokes, cancers and heart attacks (the last, I suppose is kinda a result of not doing enough of the health thing), that's what's going to keep us alive longest. But I think other gym members might prefer if you stick to less heart pumping activities like pilates and water aerobics.

Or at least - be sure to "consult your physician before starting any physical exercise programme" as every gym machine warns.

Ah...so that's what they're there for!

No comments:

Post a Comment