Monday, November 7, 2011

Not just angry whites

Curly and I attended the Opportunities Australia Expo on Saturday- just to see what our options were - with a thought of maybe going to work there for a year or two.
As we walked in I heard a voice dripping with pessimism about our wonderful country. Not surprisingly (as stereotypes go), he was a burly 50-something man in two tones.
And that's how I imagined this expo to go - a bunch of disgruntled white South Africans looking to move down under - the land of milk and honey it seems.

I was therefore utterly amazed to see the actual turnout as we sat down for a seminar on Working in the Northern Territory (which, FYI, apparently has a wonderful tropical climate - so a gorgeous six months followed by rain, rain, rain).
I can honestly say that the ratio between white, Indian and black people was pretty much equal. I must admit that made me feel slightly less unpatriotic as I sat there because we (I mean Curly and I, not white people in general) are not the only ones looking outside our borders for a future.
At the same time, it was quite an awakening to see that there are many people - across all race groups - that are not satisfied with how our country and big business is (often) being run (tenderpreneurs, cadres, *cough).

But as I sat there listening to these Aussies boast about their lifestyle, job opportunities etc...it made me remember my, perhaps, rose-tinted view on life when I wanted to make a difference - in South Africa.

Besides finding out that journalism is not one of the crucial skills required by the Australian government, I sense times a-changing...with perhaps a career change on the horizon.


Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment